Re: /etc/init.d/network

stick@richnet.net wrote:

> Howdy all.
>

> I've had two network cards in this machine: first, an HP 100VG PCI and
> then an Eagle NE2000 ISA.  Both exhibit the same problem.  Which is...
>
> When the system boots /etc/init.d/network is run (I know this is true
> because I added some echo statements & watched the screen while it booted.)
> Anyway, after I boot the eth0 interface is not setup.  If I run /etc/init.d/
> network by hand afterwards, everything is fine.  I've checked, double-
> checked, and even had a friend check that there were no hardware conflicts.
> Interrupts and IO addresses are all fine.  I've tried compiling the drivers
> into the kernel and as loadable modules - nothing seems to help this problem.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?  I can provide several K bytes worth of files
> if someone wants to take a look at them.  So far everything's fairly straight
> out of the box on this system.  Running "the Official Debian CD" release
> 1.3.1, though I've recently started migrating to the libc6 tree.
>
> Comments and suggestions welcome.
> Thanks.
> Chuck
>
> --
> Chuck Stickelman, Owner                 E-Mail: <stick@richnet.net>
> Practical Network Design                Voice:  (419) 529-3841
> 9 Chambers Road                         FAX:    (419) 529-3625
> Mansfield, OH 44906-1302 USA

Well...

in the /etc/init.d/network file is the following lines inserted?

/sbin/ifconfig eth0 up
/sbin/ifconfig eth0 host_name netmask 255.255.255.0

Add the kernel routing table

/sbin/route add -net 198.168.1.0 dev eth0
/sbin/route add -host host_name dev eth0

And finally I display the kernel's routing table

# display route table
/bin/netstat -rn

I have found that by adding items to the display I have found the
cause of many hidden problems.

Have a good day :-)

--
          0 0
           "       http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc/

LeRoy D. Cressy     	 /\_/\		ldc@netaxs.com
Computer Consulting 	( o.o )		(215) 389-5870