Re: /etc/init.d/network

> Well...
>
> in the /etc/init.d/network file is the following lines inserted?
>
> /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up
> /sbin/ifconfig eth0 host_name netmask 255.255.255.0
>
> Add the kernel routing table
>
> /sbin/route add -net 198.168.1.0 dev eth0
> /sbin/route add -host host_name dev eth0

Here's my /etc/init.d/network stripped of comments and some echo statements:

#!/bin/sh
ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
route add -net 127.0.0.0
IPADDR=198.187.226.21
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=198.187.226.0
BROADCAST=198.187.226.255
GATEWAY=205.242.10.253
ifconfig eth0 ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK} broadcast ${BROADCAST}
route add -net ${NETWORK}
route add default gw ${GATEWAY} metric 1

This is the same format that is used on another system (also Debian)
that is working fine.  The other system is Debian 1.2.whatever.  With
pieces of 1.3.whoknows.

> And finally I display the kernel's routing table
>
> # display route table
> /bin/netstat -rn

I like this idea!  That and adding ifconfig at the end.  They both should
be part of the file's default configuration.

> I have found that by adding items to the display I have found the
> cause of many hidden problems.

We'll see how well those problems can hide now...

> Have a good day :-)
> LeRoy D. Cressy     	 /\_/\		ldc@netaxs.com

Thanks!
Chuck

--
Chuck Stickelman, Owner			E-Mail:	<stick@richnet.net>
Practical Network Design		Voice:	(419) 529-3841