Re: [side question] Re: MTA Suggestion

On Wed, 12 Nov 1997, Adam Shand wrote:

> > My /etc/procmailrc rules catch nearly all of the spam which makes it
> > through the spamm address, domain and IP blocking rules.
>
> Are you willing to share your procmail rules?  It would be quite nice to
> have these for myself to get rid of the spam which is arriving in ever
> increasing droves to my mailbox...

certainly, here it is. btw, if you don't want to keep spam in a spam
folder then you can make procmail bounce it with an error code. however,
bouncing spam once it has arrived on your system is usually a waste
of time and just clogs up your mail queue because most spammers won't
receive mail...better to just file it in /dev/null.

VERBOSE=OFF
PATH=$HOME/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/bin:.
LOGFILE=/root/Mail/from-all
LOCKFILE=$HOME/.lockmail

:0
* ^TO(friend@public.com)|(free4u2.com)
/root/Mail/SPAM

:0 E
* ^FROM([0-9]+@)|(@widexs.com)|(newsletter@shoppingplanet.com)
/root/Mail/SPAM

:0 E
* (^X-Advertisement:)|(^X-[0-9]: )
/root/Mail/SPAM

:0 E
* ^received:.*(cyber\-bomber|CLOAKED|from unverified source)
/root/Mail/SPAM

# impossible ip address in Received: line  - one of cyberpromo's tricks.
:0 E
* ^Received.*\[[0-9\.]*([03-9][0-9][0-9]|2[6-9][0-9]|25[6-9])
/root/Mail/SPAM

I also have these lines in there, but commented out.  I subscribe to the
SPAM-L digest and checking the message body is likely to catch mail from
that list. when i get some spare time i'll fix these rules so that they
don't interfere with SPAM-L:

# now check the body of the message for spam
#:0 BE
#* (EVALUATING MULTI-LEVEL SALES PLANS|SOURCES FOR THE BEST MAILING LISTS|MAJOR CORPORATIONS AND MULTI-LEVEL SALES|HOW TO MAKE $250,000 THROUGH MULTI-LEVEL SALES)
#/root/Mail/SPAM
#
#:0 BE
#* (CREDIT CARDS ACCEPTED|GROUND[ -]*FLOOR OPPORTUNITY|Removal instructions|Internet Market(ing|er)|apologize for any inconvenience|Bulk Email|using Extractor Pro)
#/root/Mail/SPAM

--
craig sanders
networking consultant                  Available for casual or contract