Re: Debian Newbie Setup Questions...

igor@ames.net (Andy Akins) writes:

> Hello. I'm considering trying out Linux (Debian in particular) and I have
> some questions concerning the Debian distribution.
>
> My machine:
>   Pentium 90MHz laptop (DFI model 7200)
>   Mouse Port mouse
>   32 meg ram
>   800 meg IDE hardrive
>   1.4meg floppy
>   PCIC compatable PCMCIA slot (I have no idea what chipset, I just
>     know Windows 95 uses the PCIC driver, and it works).
>   Cirrus Logic 754X video.
>   800x600 TFT LCD monitor.
>   28.8 hayes "standard" PCMCIA modem.
>
> My big concern is the PCMCIA slot - since I'll want to dial into my ISP
> once the floppy install is done and finish the install using FTP, I need to
> know if the Debian base floppy install supports PCMCIA in general (and my
> PCIC compatable chipset specifically), and what do I need to do to use it
> (if present), otherwise I won't be able to finish installing the stuff.

You will need, in addition to the base floppies, two extra packages
for PCMCIA support, which can be found under the binary-i386/admin
directory of the distribution:

pcmcia-cs		(in file pcmcia-cs_2.9.6-3.deb)
pcmcia-modules-2.0.29-7	(in file pcmcia-modules-2.0.29-7_2.9.6-3.deb)

You can download these files from a Debian ftp site and transfer them
to your computer.  For example, you can place them on a DOS floppy,
and mount that floppy with

	mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt

The files will then be available under /mnt on your system.  Once you
have installed the base system and transfered the .deb files for the
PCMCIA utilities, you can install these packages using the following
command:

	dpkg -i <filename>

where <filename> is the name of the .deb file.

The PCMCIA utilities should work with your modem without the need for
additional configuration.

Brian