magicfilter permissions

This is a permissions problem that I can't straighten out.  I have a
util called hpset that I use to change the print qualilty of my hp
dj660c.  This program currently will only let root execute it since it
writes directly to /dev/lp1.  I want to stick this command in my
magicfilter filter file but it fails due to lack of permissions.  What
do I need to change to give magicfilter(i.e. lpd) permissions to
execute hpset on /dev/lp1?

This is what is currently set mode wise:

# ls -l /usr/local/bin/hpset
 11 -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root        10445 Jul 10 16:47 /usr/local/bin/hpset*
# ls -l /dev/lp1
   0 crw-rw----   1 root     lp         6,   1 May 28 17:16 /dev/lp1

By the way this the 'filter' line that I want to put into my
magicfilter filter.

# PostScript
0       %!              filter /usr/local/bin/hpset econo > /dev/null 2>&1;\
                               /usr/bin/gs  -q -dBitsPerPixel=1 \
                                               -dShingling=0 \
                                               -dDepletion=0 \
                                               -dSAFER \