Re: Posting to usenet

On Tue, 11 Nov 1997, Martin Bialasinski wrote:

> > Okay, tin works, sort of. It seems it still can't find my hostname since
> > my From: lines show up as "tbarrie@", but I can manually edit that.
> > It's a pain though.
> >
> > (The file /usr/doc/tin/INSTALL.gz cryptically recommends that I "check
> > that DOMAIN_NAME & INEWS_MAIL_DOMAIN are correctly set to produce a
> > correct From: headers for your site." Set how? Setting these as
> > environment variables has no effect... surely these don't need to be fixed
> > at compile-time?)

> Don't know, but you could edit ~/.tin/tinrc
> There you have a line:
> # user's mail address, if not username@host
> mail_address=

Okay, that works. (OTOH, I'm not enamoured with tin, so it would be nice
if I could figure out how to get trn to work.)

> But your box is screwed up somhow.
> What do "hostname" and "dnsdomainname" say?

Hostname spits out "drollsden", which for silly and irrelevant reasons is
the name I chose for my machine. dnsdomainname produces no output at all.

> /etc/hosts ?	localhost	loopback		drollsden

That is admittedly suspicious, but according to the ISP-Hookup
HOWTO that's the correct syntax when using dynamic IP assignment.

> route ?         (I get out of ideas right now :-)

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
loopnet         *            U     0      0        4 lo

Which means nothing to me.:)

debian-user-request@lists.debian.org .