Re: Posting to usenet

On Mon, 10 Nov 1997, Trevor Barrie wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Nov 1997, Martin Bialasinski wrote:
>
> > Looks like nn tries a command leafnode doesn't understand (or the syntax
> > nn uses is wrong). You could check the rfc about error 502.
>
> "RFC"? I know FAQs, manpages, HOWTOs and /usr/doc/*, but that's a new one
> to me.:) Where do I find it?

The RFC are released by the ietf :-)

OK.
    rfc = request for comments = documents descibing standards on the
	  internet
    ietf = internet enineering task force

Point your browser to yahoo and search for rfc to find a local mirror.

> > I can use tin (I think from non-free) very well if I can't run gnus. So
> > you might try it.
>
> Okay, tin works, sort of. It seems it still can't find my hostname since
> my From: lines show up as "tbarrie@0.0.0.0", but I can manually edit that.
> It's a pain though.
>
> (The file /usr/doc/tin/INSTALL.gz cryptically recommends that I "check
> that DOMAIN_NAME & INEWS_MAIL_DOMAIN are correctly set to produce a
> correct From: headers for your site." Set how? Setting these as
> environment variables has no effect... surely these don't need to be fixed
> at compile-time?)

Don't know, but you could edit ~/.tin/tinrc

There you have a line:

# user's mail address, if not username@host
mail_address=

You could try this one.

But your box is screwed up somhow.

What do "hostname" and "dnsdomainname" say?

/etc/hosts ?
route ?         (I get out of ideas right now :-)

Ciao,
	Martin