set up ftp for dselect

I have a laptop running release 1.2 (I loaded it on the laptop the hard way).
I would like to setup a PPP link between my desk top system (running 1.3) and
the laptop. Then get an FTP server running so that dselect on the laptop can
access the CDROM drive and upgrade itself (via ftp access). So, I need
suggestions on what to read to give me the info needed to accomplish this feat.
any tips are appreciated.

--
-= Sent by Debian 1.3 Linux =-
Thomas Kocourek  KD4CIK - member of ARRL