Re: Configuring xinetd- cannot telnet to self

On Sun, 9 Nov 1997, Dan Hugo wrote:

> I should be able to do this:
>
> telnet 127.0.0.1
>
> from my machine (telneting to myself) but I get this:
>
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
>
> Same when trying to ftp, etc.
>

> I looked for a HOWTO on xinetd, but didn't see anything.
>
> So where should I look to solve this?

I don't know, as I haven't done much with it - is there anything in
/usr/doc/xinetd?

In any case, I briefly installed and then uninstalled xinetd to test this,
and I think I have a partial answer.  First off, since you're getting the
Connection refused message, the answer is not in the /etc/hosts.allow or
/etc/hosts.deny - if those files were denying access you would connect
(and be immediately disconnected).  Check you /etc/xinetd.conf and make
certain you have the following in it:

service telnet
{
      socket_type     = stream
      protocol        = tcp
      wait            = no
      user            = root
      server          = /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
}

This isn't in the default xinetd.conf, but it was in the xinetd.conf
generated by the install script when I asked it to convert my inetd.conf -
without this section xinetd won't listen and accept connections on tcp
port 23 (where telnet connects by default) and therefore connections can't
be accepted at all.  For reference, I've made the whole /etc/xinetd.conf
that the install script generated for me available - I wouldn't use just
this as your /etc/xinetd.conf; in particular, I'd leave in the "defaults"
section that's in the default xinetd.conf.

The /etc/xinetd.conf that the install script generated should be available
at http://www.math.jhu.edu/~martind/xinetd.conf

DANIEL MARTIN