Configuring xinetd- cannot telnet to self

I should be able to do this:

telnet 127.0.0.1

from my machine (telneting to myself) but I get this:

Trying 127.0.0.1...

Same when trying to ftp, etc.

I looked for a HOWTO on xinetd, but didn't see anything.

So where should I look to solve this?

/etc/hosts.allow
ALL: LOCAL
ALL:<this machine name>

/etc/hosts.deny
ALL:PARANOID
#(I tried commenting that out)

I use pppd, and I get the same behavior when I try to connect back to my
machine when I telnet from my ISP shell account.

I'm a little confused... what am I missing???

Thanks
-dh