Re: Moving files between DOS hard drive and Linux hard drive

"Charles Read" <charles_read@hotmail.com> writes:
> I have read through some of the man-pages
> for "mtools", but I cannot determine how to
> move a file between a DOS hard drive and
> a Linux hard drive.  [By "DOS hard drive",
> I mean the drive containing Win95, etc.;
> by "Linux hard drive", I mean a 2nd drive
> containing Debian 1.3.]
>
> If I initiate the file transfer from Linux, does
> the DOS drive need to be mounted?  If so,
> how do you assign a DOS drive name (Eg, "c:")
> to the mounted partition?

You probably don't want to use mtools with a DOS hard drive, although
it will work.  Instead, you probably want to mount it as a filesystem,
using a command like `mount /dev/hda1 /mnt'.  Dissected:

    mount /dev/hda1 /mnt
               ^ ^^ ^ Mount point.  This can be any directory.
               | ||
               | |\-- First partition.
               | |
               | \--- First drive.

               \----- IDE hard drive.

You can put the details in your /etc/fstab.  See the fstab man page
for details.
--
Ben Pfaff <pfaffben@pilot.msu.edu> <blp@gnu.org> <pfaffben@debian.org>
Senders of unsolicited commercial e-mail will receive free 32MB core files!