Losing colors in X

G'day All,
  I think this is a bug, but I am unable to track down what program is causing
it, so I thought I would try here first.

I am finding in X that I am missing colors.  I find that xcolors crashes and
that xcolorsel says unable to allocate any colors.

When a launch xterm from another xterm, I get a lot of Warning: Cannot
allocate colormap entry for "some color" messages.

This all seems to happen in fvwm95 and kde but not in afterstep and twm.

So what is going on with this wierdness?

  - Craig