Re: help needed [urgent]

> While from what I have seen by following this list for quite a few months now, the list members are rather tolerent of
> 'off-topic' posting when such postings are still Linux related.

Don't worry ! I'm on the list since 15th-Aug .. and that the 2nd time
I'm posting.. I'm __interested__ in the job done here .. even if I don't
use Debian yet

> However, your problems are not even Linux specific much less debian specific.

Humm! I dare think they are at least linux specific..

 With a non-debian distribution, attempting
> to get help from a debian users listserver may do you more harm than good!  The primary debian tools such as dpkg and
> dselect could even 'mess up' your system.

Agree. And, this could be risky ! But according to a previous answer, I understood
that dpkg were evolving in order to be grafted on alien linux-system and was
pointed then to the file
ftp.debian.org/pub/debian/project/experimental/dpkg-1.4.0.19.tar.gz...
The building and installation of this package were successfull, but I have the
runtime-problem of a missing status file (dpkg- seems to behave as "expected"..).

> I presume that you are in France so I would think that maybe sunsite UK under the GNU directory would be your best source
> except that there are undoubtedly good mirrors of the GNU project in France.

True :) If someone's interrested in, there (for example) are
ftp.univ-lyon1.fr/pub/gnu and  ftp.jussieu.fr/pub/gnu mirroring the project..
But sorry, I'm not psychotic (yet :) and can't know where to find the files
I'm looking for in such places. Whereas with Debian, I can use the
debian-search engine to locate these packages.

==> Sure ! I should put the Debian distrib on this box :)

Thanx for your time and attention, regards, Max