Re: printer trouble

> On Fri, 7 Nov 1997, E.L. Meijer (Eric) wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I recently got a problem with a printer filter used by lpr.  The filter
> > is used for a HP Deskjet 870 cxi, and used to work properly on this
> > machine, and still does on other machines:
> [snip]
> >
> > hp870raw is a remote printer.  The problem might be caused by the
> > fact that gs was recently replaced with Alladin-gs, version 4.03-7.  If
> > I run `lpr -Pcol1 bla.ps', I see with ps -eaxfwww that gs is run with
> > the following arguments:
> > /usr/bin/gs -sDEVICE=lvga256 -sDEVICE=cdj550 -q -r300x300 -sPAPERSIZE=a4 ...
> >              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > It doesn't stop, and nothing gets printed.
>
> I have the same problem with a similar setup.  I have a HP660c using the
> cdj550 settings through apsfilter.  My system is a mix of hamm and bo, but
> lately I've been moving back to bo (1 too many problems).  How about
> comparing versions.  Also if anyone else has a functioning printer with a
> similar setup, I'd be interested to know which of versions of the below
> packages you have.
>
> ii  lpr             5.9-20         BSD lpr/lpd line printer spooling
> ii  a2ps            4.4-1          a2ps - ASCII to PostScript filter
> ii  apsfilter       4.9.1-10       A lineprinter input filter for systems
> ii  gs-aladdin      4.03-7         Postscript interpreter with X11 and
> ii  gsfonts         4.01-5         Fonts for the ghostscript interpreter

This system is mostly rex, with some bo additions:

lpr:              5.9-13
a2ps, apsfilter:  not installed
gs-alladin:       4.03-7
gs-fonts:         4.01-3

I think the most important thing we have in common is gs-aladdin.  Can
you print if you use the filte directly, like in `filter < bla.ps'?
This works for me.

Eric Meijer

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032