Re: StarOffice and XPrinter

On Wed, 5 Nov 1997, Toth Laszlo wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Nov 1997, Paul Miller wrote:
>
> > you probably didn't run the installation.. or run the scripts it
> > installs in the home directories (.sd.sh for bash and .sd.csh for
> > csh)..
>
> Thanks your quick answer. I'm lame, but something else is wrong too.

i got staroffice installed ok this morning (i had to use 'dpkg -i
--force-depends')  and after a bit of stuffing around, now have it
running.  I even printed a document the first time i clicked on print,
without any hassle at all (i already have lprng and magicfilter set up on
all my systems).

i wasn't able to run the setup program (it core dumps on my system -
maybe because i'm running unstable/bo), but i did find a file called
sd.sh in /usr/lib/Star-Office-3.1.  I copied this to ~/.sd.sh and
modified it to suit my system. here's what I've got:

#! /bin/bash

sd_inst=/usr/lib/StarOffice-3.1
sd_fonts=$sd_inst/fonts
sd_plat='linux-x86'

PATH=$sd_inst/${sd_plat:=.}/bin:$PATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$sd_inst/$sd_plat/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
XPPATH=$sd_inst/xp3
HELPPATH=$sd_inst/modules
XENVIRONMENT=$sd_inst/starview.xres
SVFONTPATH=$sd_fonts/75dpi:$sd_fonts/75dpi/bdf:$sd_fonts/type1
SVHOME=~/docs
LANG=us
unset sd_inst sd_fonts sd_plat
export PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH XPPATH HELPPATH XENVIRONMENT SVFONTPATH SVHOME LANG

here's a possible bug in your .sd.sh script:

> 	sd_inst=/usr/local/StarOffice-31

is that really the directory that you have staroffice installed in?  For a
while I had errors very similar to yours because my sd_inst variable was
pointing to /usr/lib/StarOffice-31 instead of /usr/lib/StarOffice-3.1 .  As
soon as i noticed and fixed the typo, it started working.

craig

PS: my overall impression of StarOffice so far (after a few hours of
playing with it) is that it seems pretty good.  I personally don't have
much need/use for word processors or spreadsheets or the "typical office
apps" but this will be very useful for those who do. it's supposed to
be able to import MS word docs - maybe now i'll be able to do something
with .DOC files which clueless people keep on emailing to me no matter
how many times i tell them "send me plain text only, i don't run MS
software and have no intention of ever doing so".

--
craig sanders
networking consultant                  Available for casual or contract