Re: debian for development?

On Wed, Nov 05, 1997 at 05:57:07AM -0500, Donald R. Harter Jr. wrote:
> 	I am new to debian.  Recently I got one of the official CDs.  I
> want to be able to run the latest kernel.  Actually I have to use the
> latest kernel since I have a plug and play system.

You may have other reasons to use the latest kernel, but the package
isapnptools provides easy to configure pnp support and is easy to configure.
Just install the package and make "pnpdump >/etc/isapnp.conf" as root. Then
you can edit the file according to the documentation. It should work with
every kernel, while I heard of broken pnp support in new kernels...

> To use the latest
> kernel one should upgrade all the development packages as outlined in
> /usr/src/linux-2.1.59/Documentation/Changes.  However I did not find these
> packages on the offical distribution.  Nor did I find them at any debian
> ftp site.  At the www.debian.us.org site I did find an experimental
> directory.  That must be what I am looking for.  Can you inlcude the
> experimental packages in the next offical CD if there is room?

You should look in the "hamm" distribution. This is the codename for the
unstable developement version of debian.

Forget project/experimental, this is not what you want.

Thank you,
Marcus

--
"Rhubarb is no Egyptian god."