Re: other side of remote xdm

On Thu, 6 Nov 1997, Rick Hawkins wrote:

> Joeey Hess wrote,
>
> > My approach has been to add something like this to /etc/inittab:
> >
> > X:2:respawn:/usr/X11R6/bin/X -indirect <foo>
> >
> > Then you don't need to log into the local computer, X is started
> > automatically on boot querying the server. And if X crashes, it is
> > automatically restarted by init.
>
> So, if i understand this correctly, <foo> is the name of host, and the
> local client will pop up the login screen specified by <foo>?
>
> If so, this is exacly what I'm looking for.  THanks.

I haven't tried this, but you should note the difference between

X -query <foo>

and

X -indirect <foo>

The first connects directly to <foo> and asks <foo> to give a login
screen. The second asks <foo> to look for hosts on the network that are
running xdm (including <foo>) and to present you a list of these hosts.
You can then select one and connect to it. This host will then give you
the login screen.

If you are using only one host to connect to, I would suggest you use the
'-query' option.

Remco