Re: dpkg won't remove nfsroot

On Thu, 6 Nov 1997, Richard G. Roberto wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Nov 1997, joost witteveen wrote:
>
> > >      I have a misconfigured or partially configured nfsroot on my disk
> > > that is marked 'purge' in dselect.  Both dselect and 'dpkg
> > > --force-remove-reinstreq -r nfsroot' give the following response:
> >
> > > /var/lib/dpkg/info/nfsroot.prerm: /etc/init.d/bind: No such file or
> >
> > Oops, right. nfsroot needs a "bind" dependancy.
> >
> > Just filed a bug against the package. Thanks!
>
> Just out of curiosity, why would nfsroot depend on bind?
>
> I was running it without bind with no problems a few months
> ago.   What part of the functionality breaks without bind?
> If its just the prerm script, maybe just the prerm script
> needs fixin'.

IIRC, when the nfsroot package was last updated the mknfsroot script
depended on the nslookup program that was in the bind package. It didn't
work with the nslookup script that came with the dnsutils package. But now
that issue seems to be resolved because the nslookup program in the
dnsutils package provides the same functionality as the one in the bind
package. The reason they don't conflict is that the dnsutils package does
a proper diversion for nslookup.

I wonder why the nfsroot.prerm package would want to stop named. It isn't
re-started at some point, so if you would remove the nfsroot package you
would end up with a not-running named, which is very undesired behaviour
IMO.

Remco