idled and other timeout programs

I'm looking for a timeout program which will _NOT_ kill my xterm sessions
but will kill my idle telnet sessions.  I attempted to do this with idled
by making it ignore users in a 'console' group which the login program
added to the user's groups.  The only problem is XDM doesn't add users to
any groups.

What is tricky is determining if the user is on locally or telneting
because both xterm and telnet use /etc/ttyp* ...

Has anyone done this before or have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Paul Miller