Re: Just starting - looking for references

Thanks all for the tips.

I couldn't wait for my distribution to arrive so I've borrowed a copy of
Debian ver 1.3  It is a slightly limited copy from a trilinux CD with
all 3 major disributions on 1 disk but should keep me happy untill my
ver 1.3.1 arrives.

I believe that the difference from ver 1.3 to 1.3.1 is basically the
inclusion of Xfree86 3.3

The install went smoothly and I only had to bite my lip a few times when
I got to the "dselect" part of the install, but the great thing is, I
can run it many times and I dont' have to be in X to browse my available
packages.

Not sure how I should have gone about setting up LILO because the
install process wouldn't let me put lilo on the MBR of my first IDE. (I
installed debian on /dev/hdb2 and /dev/hdb3)

I modified a lilo.conf that I had saved on a DOS partition and it worked
out OK

What I did like is the /etc/X11/window-managers file which rather easily
lets me specify the default window manager.