basic install problems

I installed Linux 1.3.1 thru floppies, but run into rough water. I have a
plain 486 DX2 66 Mhz, with 16 MB, 2.1 Gb IDE HDD and a Creative CDrom
(Matsushita - CR 581-M) on a Soundblaster 16 card.

1. During the installation Linux asks for the device drivers to be installed:

- Block device drivers: cannot figure out what to install?

- CDROM drive: sbpcd is offered, but Linux cannot find any on my system.
        Thus I installed plain cdrom.

- Further I installed the serial and parallel port device drivers, plus a NE
2000 driver, though the card is not yet connected to a net work.

Other intall sequence went alright. Then I made a boot-floppy and installed
LILO as I was adviced.
Only Lilo does not give a boot prompt when pressing <Shift> on booting only
something like A2E. But no choice available, neither thru <Tab> not <?> and
Linux starts. Then I appended to lilo.conf:
other=/dev/hda1
table=/dev/hda
label=win95

But to no avail.

Then I tried to use dselect to install the packages but my cdrom is not
being recognized. Dselect asks for the Block Device name; I cannot find any
references to that. So I abandoned that part of the install.

I figured out how to get to the LILO docs and de-installed LILO in order to
get the old boot records in place but now nothing is booting anymore: no
Linux, no Win95; W95 start-up disk searches the floppy-drive for system, not
the HDD.

Questions:

- How to get LILO boot both linux and Win95 (again)?
- How to get Linux recognize the Creative CDROM?
- How to get Linux recognize the SB 16?
- Suppose I do a new install, what drivers are necessary to install during
the installation process?

Thanks,

Kind regards,

Dirk Kievith
Consultant for CADD & Web Design

-- PO Box 24 		|   Tel./Fax: +91-413-20620  --
-- Pondicherry 605001 	|   dirk@webstudio6.com      --
-- India 		|   http://webstudio6.com    --