Re: Just starting - looking for references

> There are two main differences:
>
> 1) The init directories -- RedHat uses the /etc/rc.d/rcN.d type of layout while
> Debian uses the /etc/rcN.d structure.
>
> 2) Debian packages tend to work and work with each other. They are better
> integrated as a total distribution than RedHat's are.
>
> As for which unix would come close ... maybe Solaris if you use only the gnu
> versions of various commands.

I interpreted the question to be: "When selecting a Unix reference book,
which flavor of Unix comes closest to Linux?"

If that's what you (Frank) are asking, then I'd recommend getting a System V
Release 3 book and a BSD book.  Some of Linux's commands have SVR3 syntax
while others have BSD.  This is one area where "Unix" gets beat-up on -
each vendor's flavor is a little different than the other's.

Fortunately, the underlying principals and concepts are the same.  I believe
that Linux's file system layout is more thought-out than most other Unix'es.
And Debian has done a great job in providing a centralized interface to
the various on-line documentation via the dwww package.  And since the best
source of Debian GNU/Linux specific documentation is on the CD set you just
ordered you may find that there's no need to go to the library.  Installing
Debian is not yet well-suited for the general public, but there's a constant
stream of improvements being developed and released.  Once you have the base
system and a few of the documentation packages installed, the whole Debian
GNU/Linux world will be at you feet.

I know that this tends to be circular - need Linux/Unix knowledge to
get Linux up and running, but having a running Linux system is the best
source for Linux knowledge...once you have conquered this, it's all becomes
a matter of time and energy.

Another thing to remember - these mailing lists are a great resource!!
Most everyone here has been in the same position you are now - one time
or an other.  Last I checked newborns still don't have an innate understanding
of hardware, multi-tasking OS'es or the command-line interface... :)

> On 30-Oct-97 Frank Cullen wrote:
> > Hi all.
> >
> > I've just placed an order for the Debian Gnu/Linux 2 cd set.  I can't
> > afford a lot of reference material so I'll be using library books as
> > much as possible.
> >
> > So, which of the versions of Unix comes closest to resembling Linux from
> > Debian?
> >
> > I've been using Redhat for a while but I expect the layout of files will
> > be different.
> >

> > --

Chuck Stickelman, Owner			E-Mail:	<stick@richnet.net>
Practical Network Design		Voice:	(419) 529-3841
9 Chambers Road				FAX:	(419) 529-3625
Mansfield, OH 44906-1302 USA