Re: mouse/X compatibility problem

On Wed, 29 Oct 1997, Larry Gariepy wrote:

[snip]
> I am a new Debian user.  With a great deal of help from a friend (read:
> he installed and debugged it for me), I now have Debian Linux 1.3.1 on
> my Pentium 233.   It is set up as a dual boot machine, with Win95.
>
> My problem is that X Windows doesn't seem to recognize my mouse, though
> it works under Win95, and you even get a mouse cursor when logged in to
> a vt100 terminal.  The mouse is just a standard Microsoft serial mouse.
[snip]

Under Win '95, can you go to the system resouce control pannel and check
to see which port the mouse is attached to?  This should probably be com1
or com2.  This will confirm the hardware port for the device (/dev/ttyS0
is for com1, and /dev/ttyS1 is for com2).  If by some chance, your mouse
is a MS ps2 port mouse, you will need to use a kernel that is compiled
with ps2 mouse support.

Syrus.