mouse/X compatibility problem

Hello.
   I am mailing a message that I posted earlier on the newsgroup because a
friend of mine informed me that many people subscribe to the list but do
not check the newsgroup that often.
-------------------------------------
I am a new Debian user.  With a great deal of help from a friend (read:
he installed and debugged it for me), I now have Debian Linux 1.3.1 on
my Pentium 233.   It is set up as a dual boot machine, with Win95.

My problem is that X Windows doesn't seem to recognize my mouse, though
it works under Win95, and you even get a mouse cursor when logged in to
a vt100 terminal.  The mouse is just a standard Microsoft serial mouse.

If anyone has had this problem, or even if you haven't and know how to
fix it, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Larry Gariepy
gariepy@darmouth.edu

ps.  I have two friends who are Debian gurus, and they were unable to
diagnose the problem (other than to recommend buying a new mouse!), so
it leads me to believe this problem is non-trivial.