Re: 3C509 acting strangely on Win95/Debian dual boot system

On Wed, 29 Oct 1997, Christopher Judd wrote:

> > When rebooting into Linux from W95 everything works great.  YESSSSSS!
> > When rebooting into W95 from Linux, I have to power cycle the machine to
> > get it to recognize my 3C509 ethernet card.  I've been doing this for a
> > couple of months now...I'm just now getting tired of this behavior.
> >
> > So far my network admins have suggested that I run their configuration
> > managed linux kernel 2.0.23 or something using loadlin.  Didn't work.
> > I'm put LILO back in place.  Didn't work.  Went back to my 2.0.29 and
> > now 2.0.30 debian kernel.  Still doesn't work.

> 	I have the same problem here.  If you solve it please let me know.

Hi folks.

I've seen this kind of thing before.  When possible, the best approach has
seemed to be to use the DOS utility to set the 3COM card such that it is
_not_ in plug 'n pray mode.  Then, force Win '95 to accept a static
declaration of the hardware address, interupt, etc.  (Note that Windoze
often does not want to do this.)

If your card is not presently in plug 'n pray mode, then I have no useful
suggestion at this time.

Syrus.