Bug or what? on gcc installation

Hi,
I don't know if this is a bug or just happens on my system. I just
intsalled a brand-new Debian 1.3.1. I was suprised to see that I cannot
compile programs as a user but i can as root.

I ran "gcc -v" and found that root accessed cc1 program from
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/2.7.2.1/cc1
whilst a normal user tried just
cc1

which did not work - since cc1 is not in the usual paths. Now is this a
bug in the installation? Should the gcc*.deb package installed cc1 in
/usr/bin as is the case with cc? Or more likely - is there a problem with
my installation?

Daniel J. Mashao --
   daniel@comgate.ee.uct.ac.za             http://www.ee.uct.ac.za/~daniel