Wanted: command to monitor hard disk activity

On my other Unix box (AIX) I have the iostat -d command which gives off
:

   %tm_act : perc. of time disk was active
  Kbps      : amount of KB per second read and written to disk
  tps : transfer per seconds issued to disk (rtansfer is an I/O request
issued to disk)

the sar -u will at least give the %CPU waiting for I/O

Are there equivalent tricks for my beloved Debian/Linux box ???

TIA for any help. Bob Alexander