Newbie here- please don't flame me!

Aloha!  I'm new not only to this group, but to Linux as well.  I have
everything installed and running that I could figure out (including X11,
which was a major pain in the butt), but have a few questions regarding
the kernel.

	I wanted to install a kernel which would have support for my modem (USR
56k) for PPP, AWE-64 (or AWE-32 support) sound card, and Linksys
Ethernet card.  I checked in the additional devices in the package I
installed (From Boot Magazine's bootdisc 15), but could only find
support for the serial/parallel ports and my ps2 mouse.  The install
instructions refer to a [23]special folder for custom kernels; I
couldn't locate this on the CD, and the special folder on the Debian
site only had one kernel in it.

	If anyone can refer me to a decent FAQ or just give me some help, I
would be most obliged!  I also have no idea yet (but am a fast learner)
on how to install said kernel once I do get it...  Please respond either
here or to ignusfast@top.net.

	Thanks in advance,

		Ignus