Installing a kernel [was Re: Newbie here- please don't flame me!]

I'd like to take Ignus' message as an opportunity to offer what I
think is an important caveat about Debian and custom kernels.

There have been several good responses about how to install a
kernel and where to get information.  However, I'd like to point
out that it is rather important to follow the Debian instructions
in the kernel source package (and also the PCMCIA source
package).  To make a kernel, you need a kernel-source package
*and* the kernel-package, which includes make-kpkg.  If you try
to use the kernel-source package and the Linux kernel HOWTO
instructions, it'll be a bit more complicated that using
make-kpkg.

This may border on the obvious (but there was a time when it
confused me pretty well :->).  Hopefully this won't simply add to
anyone's confusion...

Regards, Mike