Printing with gs

I've installed debian's ghostscript package and it works by typing the
appropriate commands on the command line but I haven't been able to
interface it with lpr so I can't print directly from  Netscape, star
office, etc. I have to create a ps file in netscape and then print it.
StarOffice doesn't seem to have this option ( i haven't RTFM so I could
be wrong) so I can't print from it at all.  I wrote a shell script
"printer.sh":

#!/bin/bash

gs -q -sDEVICE=cdj550 -sOutputFile=\|lpr -dNOPAUSE  $1 -c quit
#Usage: "printer.sh foobar.ps"

which also works from the command line, but when I set the print command
in netscape or staroffice to this shell script (instead of lpr), nothing
prints (and there are no error messages). I don't know anything about
scripting, so this could be something stupid. I tried "printer.sh" with
permissions 755 and 777. I tried the printing setup script in the
ghostscript 4.3 distribution on their website, but I couldn't get that
to work either. Any help would be much appreciated.

John Paul