Re: POP and SMTP program for shell users

On Mon, 27 Oct 1997, Colin R. Telmer wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Oct 1997, Shaleh wrote:
>
> > Is there a elm/pine type program that will do POP and SMTP?  thanks.
>
> 1) Install qpopper or imap-4 depending on the protocol you want. No
>    configuration necessary that I know about.

Why this? Isn't that only needed if you want to make your box a pop/imap
server? I think Shaleh just wants to read mail, so this is not needed.

> 2) Install fetchmail and configure it to work with qpopper or imap-4. Some
>    configuration, but quite easy following fetchmail's man pages. If you
>    run into difficulty, email me for help.

Install fetchmail and configure it to work with your isp's pop/imap
server.

Fetchmail will feed your local smail (or sendmail or whatever) with the
mail it gets from your isp.

> 3) Use pine or elm or whatever local mail system you choose.

Ciao,
	Martin