Re: POP and SMTP program for shell users

On Mon, 27 Oct 1997, Shaleh wrote:

> Is there a elm/pine type program that will do POP and SMTP?  thanks.

1) Install qpopper or imap-4 depending on the protocol you want. No
   configuration necessary that I know about.
2) Install fetchmail and configure it to work with qpopper or imap-4. Some
   configuration, but quite easy following fetchmail's man pages. If you
   run into difficulty, email me for help.
3) Use pine or elm or whatever local mail system you choose.

For example, I use fetchmail with imap-4 which grabs my mail through an
ssh pipe which is then filtered by procmail into various incoming
mailboxes and I read it all with pine. Cheers.

--
Colin Telmer, Institute of Intergovernmental Relations
School of Policy Studies Building, Room 309, Queen's University