gimp can't load any file.

I ftp'd the debian gimp package from the maintainer's site.  I had to
install a detailed list of upgrades to be sure it would work.  I THINK I
installed them all right(!?!).

But, while The GIMP runs, it won't load any file.

I didn't install any new gimp-data package.  I liked the non-free gimp far
more than the less recent one in hamm; I am upgrading in hopes of the return
of functionality lost due to the changes in widget sets.

By the way, I just compiled emacs 20.2 right out of the box, and it runs
fine.  Using the old libc5 development libraries.

Alan Davis
--

"I consider that the golden rule requires       Alan E. Davis
that if I like a program I must share it        Marianas High School