Re: Linux

On Fri, 24 Oct 1997, Dirk Kievith wrote:

> At 00:21 24.10.1997 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >> Did I read the webpage correctly, it stated
> >> something to the effect of ...'you may load and run Debian on the same hard
> >> drive that you have WIN95 on' ?
>
> >Sure.  I do it.  There's a program that will let you choose between them
> >at boot time.
>
> As I am about to start installing Linux 1.3.1 on my pre-partitioned HD,
> I would like to know which is this program and what to take care of so
> that the W95 partition remains bootable and usable, while fine-tweaking
> Linux.

Use fips. It is designed to do just that. IIRC you can find it on the
archive in the debian/tools directory.

Make a bootable floppy in win95 and copy the fips executable to it.

Defragment the partition that you want to resize, sometimes you have to do
it a couple of times to clear locks on files. In defrag you can see the
progress and when it looks like there are no more blocks in use by win95
files on the part of the partition that you want to give to linux then you
can go on to the next step:

Reboot the computer from the floppy that you just made and type "fips"

Fips will first make a backup of some data that enables you to undo fips.
Then it displays data about the partition you want to resize and you can
use the cursor keys to resize the current partition.

This is all by heart, so I suggest you check the documentation that comes
with fips.

I have found fips to work fine with fat and fat32 (win95osr2) alike, in
case you wondered.

Good luck,

Joost