What happened to rpc.portmap?

Hi all
I'm having a small problem with my Debian bo system, I ran dselect last night to get the latest
goodies.  netstd-2.16-1, netbase-2.16-1, lpr-5.9-20, and diald_0.16.4-7 seem to be the
packages that were upgraded in the net sub-directory.  I am also running xinetd-2.1.7-3.
The first time I tried to grab my mail, after the upgrade, it failed.  Now I get messages like this
for all services that are controlled by xinetd:

>telnet catbert
Trying 192.168.1.2...
telnet: connect to address 192.168.1.2: Connection refused

I had a look through the init.d scripts and /usr/sbin/rpc.portmap seems to be gone.  rpc.portmap
is called by /etc/init.d/netbase and /etc/init.d/xinetd during bootup, both scripts are called in
/etc/rc2.d.  I looked through the packages with the deb-view add on to xemacs and didn't
see rpc.portmap anywhere.  I also searched the stable Packages file, no luck there either.

A possibly interesting side issue is that my kbd locked during this dselect session and
I had to telnet into this machine to reboot after downloading these, and some other packages.
I made sure the ftp was complete, before rebooting (shutdown -r now), so I don't
think I broke anything there.

Did I upgrade when I shouldn't have or is something wrong with netstd or netbase?
If anybody has any clues, I would appreciate hearing them.  Thanks

Later

Rob MacWilliams