Re: NIS problems

On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, Swen Thuemmler wrote:

> > I have the plus entries in /etc/passwd and /etc/group in the client, not
> > in the master.
> >
> > /etc/passwd
> > +:*::::
>     ^------ This is your problem.
> You must remove the asterisk, since it will overwrite the pw_passwd entry
> from NIS (this is unlike SunOS). A single
> +
> ist enough.

Thanks.  Out of frustration, I remove the "*" and it works beautifully
since last night.

I seem to have problems loading NIS deamons during boot up.  It seems that
portmapper is brought up after NIS deamons.  I have to manually start
"/etc/init.d/nis start" to bring NIS up after the boot up sequence is
completed.  Am I missing something obvious and simple again.

Bao

--
Bao C. Ha
(bao@hacom.net) http://www.hacom.net