xconsole doesn't work anymore w/ xdm

for some reason or another, xconsole doesn't work with xdm anymore.  the
/etc/config file have 'run-xconsole' and everything is correct in the
setup file.. I didn't change anything, only upgrades selected by dselect..
It works perfectly from the the wm's menu..  I tried changing 'xconsole'
to 'xconsole.real' and it worked better (I could see xconsole, but it
looked different)  Anyone have any ideas?

-Paul