Re: What happened to rpc.portmap?

On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, Rob MacWilliams wrote:

> I just put an older copy of rpc.portmap back onto this system and everything seems to be fine
> now.  dpkg -S /usr/sbin/rpc.portmap returns netbase, so I think I found some of the problem.
> The new netbase doesn't have rpc.portmap, only portmap, and dselect deleted the older
> version :-).
>
> This looks like a case for a bug report, netbase should either supply rpc.portmap or
> fix the init.d script not to call it.  Am I out to lunch?  I hope so, because this could be
> serious.

I took a lookat it. The problem is not with netbase, but with xinetd. The
/etc/init.d/netbase script is overwritten by the xinetd package and does
nothing if xinetd is installed. The /etc/init.d/xinetd script looks for
/usr/sbin/rpc.portmap, which is not in the netbase package. Instead, there
is /usr/sbin/portmap, which has the same functionality. The change
occurred with netbase_2.15-1, according to the changelog.

I really think this is a bug in the xinetd package. IMHO, there should
come a new xinetd package which knows about /usr/sbin/portmap. Probably it
should depend on netbase (>= 2.15-1).

Remco