Problem with LaTeX package?

When I invoke lates on a .tex source file, like so

   $ latex usrguide.tex

I get

   This is TeX, Version 3.1415 (C version 6.1)
   I can't find the default format file!

Also, when I try to run LaTeX from LyX, I get

   Missing log file: newfile.log

Am I doing something wrong?  Could this be a hold-over bug from the old
(rumored to be flaed) LaTeX package?  Any help greatly appreciate.

__
I like six eggs when starting on a journey.  Fried - not poached.  And
mind you don't break 'em.  I won't eat a broken egg.
                                              -- Thorin Oakenshield