Re: PPP [was Re: new debian user questions]

> > For example, I can get a new Caldera install up and on the net within
> > minutes. Debian was not so accommodating. No modem. No modemtool app. No
> > LISA. Ok, MAKEDEV cua1. Dial... connected... ping junior.apk.net   ---
> > network unreachable
>
> cua1 is bad, don't use it.  Not good with file locking.  Use ttyS1.
>
> > Now I have to figure out why it doesn't work and that's not my idea of fun.
> > :-) I suppose I should really learn more about the system, but I'd rather
> > not have to dive in right away.
>
> Edit /etc/ppp.chatscript and /etc/resolv.conf.  Chatscript is strait
> forward, read the man page for resolv.conf.
>
> > So now I guess we're at the point of arguing about making things easy for
> > the user versus the user learning how to use the system.
> >
> > Should there be "debian for dummies?"
>
> It's a thought, or maybe just a debian installation for dummies.  Couple
> page web document would do.  Any volunteers (this shouldn't be something
> an experienced user should do).

I just do it from CD and it's a piece of cake (I'm *not* super experienced
and have broken my system more than once, so I'm familiar with the
installation process. :) ).  Would you want one that was more for someone
doing it from windoze with a pile of floppies, a blank partition and an
ISP?  Or a CD installation too?  I got my CD from Iconnect.  Are the
different CD pressings similiar? Identical? Not at all the same?

I know, a lot of questions, but I could give it my best effort if I knew
what was wanted and see what everyone thinks.

lemme know...:)
matty

Matt Thompson       mattyt@oz.net
MZI, Inc.           v-206.430.3726