Re: several problems with a new installation (hey, I'm learning)

On Thu, Oct 16, 1997 at 12:07:28PM -0500, Richard A. Guay wrote:

> On 16-Oct-97 Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 15, 1997 at 03:04:47PM -0500, Richard A. Guay wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have a list of problems that I need help with:
> >
> >> 2)  I can not get the sound to work!  If I execute "cat bong.au >/dev/audio"
> >> I g
> >> et "zsh: no such device: /dev/audio" (I did the cat at root level, so it is
> >> not
> >> a permissions conflict).  How do I check for the drivers for the audio
> >> board?  I
> >> t is IBM MWave sound card.
> >
> > Did you recompiled the kernel, enabling sound support ? (It is not done by
> > default, the standard kernel is big enough, supporting all possible hard
> > discs etc). Install the kernel-sources, kernel-package and other packages
> > mentioned in the README filel from kernel-packages, than follow the
> > documentation to rebuild the kernel. See the Sound-HOWTO for more details
> > about your sound card.
>
> Okay, I will look into that.  Where is the Sound-HOWTO?  Where are all of the ho
> w to's?  Sorry for dumb questions.

look under /usr/doc/HOWTO. If there is nothing, install the doc-linux and
doc-linux-text packages. Or look at sunsite.unc.edu in the LDP hierarchy.

> >> 3)  How do I check the number of bit planes being used by the xserver?  I
> >> seem t
> >> o still run out of colors with a S3-Virge board with 2 Megs of RAM!  How do
> >> you
> >> specify the resolution and number of bit planes to come up in with startx?
> >
> > Look at the error output, if you use startx. If you use xdm, do:
> >
> ># cat /var/log/xdm-errors
> > [...]
> > (--) S3: Using Trio32/64 programmable clock (MCLK 59.957 MHz)
> > (--) S3: Maximum allowed dot-clock: 80.000 MHz
> > (**) S3: Mode "1024x768": mode clock =  75.000
> > (**) S3: Mode "800x600": mode clock =  50.000
> > (**) S3: Using 16 bpp.  Color weight: 565
> > (--) S3: Virtual resolution set to 1024x768
> > (--) S3: Local bus LAW is 0xFB000000
> > (--) S3: Using a banksize of 2048k, line width of 1024
> > (--) S3: Using a single 64x64 area at (960,769) for expanding pixmaps
> > (--) S3: Using 16 planes of 960x255 at (0,769) aligned 8 as font cache
> >
> > Notice the 16 planes = 16 bit = 16 bpp
> >
> > The resolution is set in the file /etc/X11/XF86Config, the bpp's with
> >
> > startx -- -bpp 16
> >
> > IIRC. There are other ways, please look in the mailing archive at
> > www.debian.org for more of them. (xdm is set in /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers:
> >
> >:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 -bpp 16
> >
> > for example.
>
> When I run "startx" the information is removed by the switch to graphics mode to
> o fast for me to see.  What is the easiest way of capturing the output?  I can n
> ot get xdm to work.  It launches okay, and sits in memory, but it never puts up
> a login.  Since I can just use startx, I have not looked into why it does not wo
> rk.

Did you try "/etc/init.d/xdm start"? This is the way to start xdm.

Look also in /etc/X11/config. My shows following:
# This file contains configuration flags for the X Window System.
# For a description of the meanings of the flags, see
# /usr/doc/X11/debian.README

run-xconsole
obey-nologin
allow-user-resources
allow-user-modmap
allow-user-xsession
allow-failsafe
start-xdm
xdm-start-server

Be sure to read the doc in /usr/doc/X11/debian.README.

> >> 4)  Where can I look to find some good background pictures in xpm format?
> >
> > What do you like? Search with your favourite web engine (www.yahoo.com for
> > example). If the pronounciation is on xpm format, then please notice, that
> > you can convert any format in xpm with many tools (xv, netpbm, ...).
> >
> > But are you sure you need xpm format?
> >
> > This depends on your window manager and the packages installed...
> >

> I think that I have this one under control.  I use Fvwm2 and the xpmroot command
>  to set a background.  I just compiled ImageMagix on my system that will transla
> te most formats into xpm.  Now for the hunt for a good picture (I like outdoors
> pictures or space pictures).

Look. This is why I asked for your windowmanager.

If you have the standard debian conf files (means no .fvwm2rc in home
directory), you can use background.{xpm|gif|jpg|color|list} in the directory
~/.fvwm2. look at /usr/doc/fvwm2/README.sysrc for details. it will detect
the image format automagically and you can even put a list there with
filenames randomly choosen from.

Go for it... Debian!

Thank you,
Marcus