Debian Installation w/ AHA-2940

I tried installing 1.3 today on a PC. It didn't go too well. I've
installed Debian more times than I can recall, and have never had this
problem before. Mind you, i've never installed it on a machine like this
either.

AHA-2940, 1x 2.1gig drive, 1x Sony CD.

For a start, the autobooting CD part wouldn't. It'd recognise a bootable
CD, and even start the booting process.

It came up with the one line LDLINUX.SYS blerb, and then just sit there.

No problem, I'll do it another way. Running boot.bat from the CD solved
that problem. It started up the installation process, loaded the kernel,
went through the blerb and made it to the first box, the one where you
choose colour or mono.

The keyboard didn't work. Odd, coz it worked a minute or so ago.
Capslock/Numlock keys didn't toggle the led's. It was like it wasn't
plugged in.

Ok, no problem. I'll boot from floppy. Dug up 7 disks, wrote them, booted.
Same problem.

Some bastard stole my Debian 1.2 CD's, so as a temporary measure Slackware
96 has been installed. It's not a real good solution, but it'll do I
suppose.

As I said, i've installed Debian [via the autobooting CD and other
methods] numerous times, this is the first i've seen of this. I assume
it's a problem to do with the Adaptec board.

Is this a Debian problem, a 1.3.* problem or an Adaptec problem? More
importantly, any solutions?

Thanks,
D.