help installing w/ AHA-2740A-Twin

I'm having trouble installing Linux on a machine with an Adaptec
AHA-2740A-Twin SCSI card.  I've got the machine (a 486) down to that, an
NE2000, and an IDE card (for the floppy), with no disks.  Right now I'm trying
Debian (its error messages seem more useful than the hanging I was getting
with RedHat).  The bad part seems to start like this:

qlogicisp : PCI bios not present
eata_dma: No BIOS32 extensions present. This driver release still depends on
it.
  Skipping scan for PCI HBAs.
aic7xxx: (aic7xxx_isr) Encountered spurious interrupt.
scsi0: BRKADRINIT error(0x1):
  Illegal Host Access
Kernel panic: scsi0: BRKADRINIT, error 0x1, seqaddr 0x0.

Any advice would be welcome...

	-Chip