YASQ (yet another sendmail question), more detailed

On 14 Oct 1997, Eloy A. Paris wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I doubt it's sendmail problem (I mean, nothing that a recompile will
> solve). It looks like a configuration problem.
>
> Can you send more information to the list? Your hosts names,
> your sendmail.mc file, where are you trying to send mail to, etc.
>
> See ya.
>
> E.-

Here we go:
---
/etc/host.conf
 order hosts,bind
 multi on

/etc/hosts
 127.0.0.1		localhost
 10.0.0.5		p5.jrpriv.de	p5	www.jrpriv.de	www
 10.0.0.4		p4.jrpriv.de	p4

/etc/mailname
 p5.jrpriv.de

/etc/resolv.conf
 search jrpriv.de

/etc/sendmail.mc
 divert(-1)
 # All comment lines with '#' deleted.
 divert(0)
 VERSIONID(`@(#)sendmail.mc	8.7 (Linux) 3/5/96')
 OSTYPE(debian)dnl
 FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl
 FEATURE(use_cw_file)dnl
 FEATURE(use_ct_file)dnl
 FEATURE(nouucp)dnl
 FEATURE(nodns)dnl
 FEATURE(local_procmail)dnl
 MAILER(local)dnl
 MAILER(smtp)dnl
 Cwp5.jrpriv.de
 MASQUERADE_AS(p5.jrpriv.de)dnl

/etc/aliases
(Only postmaster for root, I've the file not here at the moment)
---

Should I post other files as well?

The systems are similarly configured. I installed Debian 1.2 from scratch and
updated most packages (except tex) to 1.3 and the current unstable version.
I'm not absolutely sure, but I think, when I installed 1.2, mailing from one
host to the other worked.
I have NOT installed bind and am not using named on either of the machines.

When I use 'mail ujr@p4' from p5 (or vice versa) I get in the logs and from
mailq the error message:
Deferred: Name server: p4.jrpriv.de.: host name lookup failure
runq didn't help (of course).
I tried several things with /etc/host.conf and /etc/resolv.conf (thanks go to
Brandon Mitchell for some suggestions!), but none of them worked. I tried for
example to rename the files (in order to make them unavailable), to remove the
bind statement from host.conf, to add a 'domain' line in resolv.conf (but this
file shouldn't be used anyway, should it), to reverse the order of the lines
in the files and more I can't think of now.
BTW, if I mail on p5 to ujr@p5 or ujr@localhost it works fine, also with the
FQDN (p5.jrpriv.de). But when I try to mail to ujr@10.0.0.5 (which is p5's IP)
I get
host map: lookup (10.0.0.5): deferred
in the logs. Isn't mailing to IP's supposed to work as well? What's wrong
here?

I don't need the mailing system under all circumstances, but it's nice to leave
some messages to remember on the other computer and besides it must be possible,
somehow (without installing a nameserver - which I definitely don't want to,
because I don't need it, so it would be a waste of memory).

Thank you for your time and help,

  Ulf

P.S.: Quoting my original message:

--