Q: Installing more Debian packages

I am having several problems with my Debian installation,
but I thought I would ask the questions one at a time.

My first questions has to do with the Debian Packages.
I have a new installation of Debian 1.3.0 on a Compaq
486/33 Server with a 1.2GB SCSI HD and 32MB RAM.
I have installed the base system with VERY few extras
(Emacs and such).  I now have it up and running as a
Intranet FTP Server, but now I would like to add some
additional packages.  How do I go about adding them,
do I use DSelect?  Or do I use dpkg?  If I use dpkg,
how do I prevent conflicts?  I've looked over the install
docs and saw nothing on this.

Thank you.

--
Dean Sullinger