Re: Tape Drives?

On Tue, 14 Oct 1997 shawn.fumo@the-spa.com wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Please forgive me for a question that has probably been asked
> thousands of times. I've just been so busy lately that I haven't been
> able to do the research I usually would.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations on a tape drive that would be
> compatible with Linux? My problem is I want to install Linux, but
> first I need to format the drive. Before I can format the drive, I
> need to back up everything. Unfortunately I am just out of room for
> backing up things.
>
> I already have a zip drive, but it has gotten to the point where much
> of what I am backing up is things I would only really be using as
> backup archives, so that continuing to buy more and more zip disks
> doesn't seem appropriate (especially in the wallet). I also figured
> that since Linux is more sensitive to things like sudden outages, a
> tape drive would be a good thing to have.
>
> My other problem is how much I have to spend. Around $100 is what
> I'd like to go for. $150 is pushing it, but should be able to manage
> it. I had first also considered a CD-R, since I have musical interests,
> but those seems to be about $300 for the cheapest models.
>
> An Iomega Ditto seems to be about the right price, and I have heard
> good things about it. Unfortunately I've also heard that it can't be
> used with Linux yet. I did find one page with a guy that seemed to
> have nearly everything nailed down, and the page was marked April.
> Has any more progress been made? Or is there another tape drive that
> is compatible and about the same price?
>
> I suppose that if the Ditto still isn't compatible, but people believe it will
> be in something like 3 months, then that'd be fine, too. It'll be a
> little ways before most of my stuff gets transferred to Linux...

The only Ditto which was a problem was the 2 GB version.  I have a Ditto
3200 and it works fine with Linux (compiling ftape into the kernel).  I
understand that there is now support for the 2 GB Ditto (and Sony) drive,
but you need to get a newer version of ftape and add it to the Linux
kernel.

Bob

----
                            http://www.primenet.com/~nielsen