Re: Q: Installing more Debian packages

On Mon, 13 Oct 1997, Dean C. Sullinger wrote:

> Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 01:58:38 -0000
> From: "Dean C. Sullinger" <deans@crl.com>
> To: "'debian-user-digest@lists.debian.org'"
     <debian-user-digest@lists.debian.org>
> Subject: Q: Installing more Debian packages
>
> I am having several problems with my Debian installation,
> but I thought I would ask the questions one at a time.
>
> My first questions has to do with the Debian Packages.
> I have a new installation of Debian 1.3.0 on a Compaq
> 486/33 Server with a 1.2GB SCSI HD and 32MB RAM.
> I have installed the base system with VERY few extras
> (Emacs and such).  I now have it up and running as a
> Intranet FTP Server, but now I would like to add some
> additional packages.  How do I go about adding them,
> do I use DSelect?  Or do I use dpkg?  If I use dpkg,
> how do I prevent conflicts?  I've looked over the install
> docs and saw nothing on this.

I tried to use dselect several times do perform tasks like that, but
unfortunatelly I have had no success at all. If I were you I would use
_dpkg_ and this is the command that dselect performs: dpkg -iGROEB .

	This command prevents downgrading, conflicts, etc, etc, etc... Up
to now it has worked great for me, I have always done my upgrades by
hand... :)

	Daniel.

> Thank you.
>
> --
> Dean Sullinger
> deans@crl.com
>

> --

Daniel Doro Ferrante        email: danieldf@lnx00.cecm.usp.br
				   danieldf@ime.usp.br
System Manager		    http://www.cecm.usp.br/~danieldf

CECM - Curso de Ciencias Moleculares - USP
       Course of Molecular Sciences - University of Sao Paulo