Re: X font trouble

> I recently reinstalled all of the xfnt packages on my box, and this has
> broken X.  This is the error message I get when I run 'startx':
>
> failed to set default font path '/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc'
> Fatal server error:
> could not open default font 'fixed'
> _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: can't connect: errno = 111
> giving up.
> xinit: Connection refused(errno 111): unable to connect to X server
> xinit: no such process (errno 3): Server error.
>
> I found a mention of the "could not open default font 'fixed'" error in
> the man pages, and it said that this means that there is an invalid entry
> in the font path.  However, the path does exist, and I ran 'mkfontdir' to
> be sure that fonts.dir exists and is in order.  root is group and owner
> for all relevant files and directories, and the permissions are world
> read, world execute if a directory.

I had the same problem when I installed MetroLink's MetroX server. It
seems that it [this could be different in your case] required the fonts in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/* to be .Z rather than .gz, as shipped with
Debian.

This could be a MetroX peculiarity. Are you using XFree86 or some other X
server?

Can anyone offer a better solution? This one's kinda bodgy.. :)

D.