X font trouble

I recently reinstalled all of the xfnt packages on my box, and this has
broken X.  This is the error message I get when I run 'startx':

failed to set default font path '/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc'
Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: can't connect: errno = 111
giving up.
xinit: Connection refused(errno 111): unable to connect to X server
xinit: no such process (errno 3): Server error.

I found a mention of the "could not open default font 'fixed'" error in
the man pages, and it said that this means that there is an invalid entry
in the font path.  However, the path does exist, and I ran 'mkfontdir' to
be sure that fonts.dir exists and is in order.  root is group and owner
for all relevant files and directories, and the permissions are world
read, world execute if a directory.

I'm at a  loss for what to do to fix this, and any help would be appreciated.

Rikki Hall

		Please dispose of this message properly