Re: svgalib won't work

"Joop Stakenborg" wrote:
  >Hi, I am having some problems trying to run the demo programs from
  >the svgalib1-dev package. After the compile I try to run the 'fun'
  >program, here is the error I get:
  >
  >> abapc# ls -al fun
  >> -rwsr-xr-x   1 jsg      HT          13177 Oct 10 15:06 fun

This is a file with suid turned on but it is owned by you; in other words,
whenever it runs, whoever runs it, it is run as if it were run by you.

  >> abapc $ ./fun
  >> svgalib: Cannot open /dev/console.
  >
  >Hmm, why doesn't this work? /dev/console looks OK:
  >
  >> abapc $ ls -al /dev/console
  >> lrwxrwxrwx   1 jsg      HT         9 Jan 24  1997 /dev/console ->
  >/dev/tty0
  >> abapc $ ls -al /dev/tty0
  >> crw-rw----   1 root     root       4,   0 Oct 10 11:12 /dev/tty0

Now, tty0 is owned by root, group is root and no permissions are set for
anyone else, including you.

  >Maybe it's not working because I do not have root permissions?
  >So I log in as root and try again:
  >
  >> abapc $ su root
  >> Password: xxxxxxx
  >> abapc# ./fun
  >> svgalib: Cannot get I/O permissions.

But you are probably falling over the fact that your program is suid to you
and therefore is probably temporarily abdicating as root.

  >What's this? I give up, better ask on the debian-user mailing list...

Any program using svgalib has to run as root. So the suid on ./fun is right
but its ownership is wrong.  Change its ownership to root and then make
it suid again (chmod u+s ./fun).  After that it should work.  If not, then
I've no idea!

(Note to you as system administrator: don't have suid root programs in a
user's home directory.  Move it to /usr/local/bin and check that the
directory permissions are safe.  If you aren't the administrator, be prepared
to justify your request to create a suid program.)

Isle of Wight                                  http://lfix.co.uk/oliver